About Dr. Zanchi
I’ve always known that I wanted to be a doctor and help people feel better. I decided to specialize in pulmonology because what happens in the lungs is connected to all the other systems of the body. Patients come to me with lung issues, and I may find that they have a heart condition, a hematological condition, or a sleep disorder. I get to interact with a lot of other medical specialists in trying to find a good solution for each patient’s needs. It’s a fascinating field with exciting results!
I am originally from Romania, but I moved to the United States in 1999 and pursued my interest in pulmonary medicine, including pulmonary fibrosis and the early detection and treatment of lung cancer. I co-founded Pulmonary & Sleep of Tampa Bay because I wanted to create a medical practice where patients are treated like family. The greatest compliment my patients give me is that they send their own family members to be treated here.
At Pulmonary & Sleep of Tampa Bay, my colleagues and I try to understand what is going on with each patient as an individual and give the best, most advanced medical care available. We also strive to keep the practice very personal and friendly, and to be available to our patients whenever they need us.
I have never stopped learning and developing my medical expertise; so far I have achieved board certifications in internal medicine, pulmonary medicine, sleep disorders, and nutrition. My patients benefit from my multiple specialty areas because I help them understand how all of their body systems are connected, from good nutrition to good sleep to unobstructed breathing. With the goal of continually improving my practice, I am also active in teaching and researching at local institutions.
I really enjoy nature, the beach and the ocean, the mountains and the forest and the and love to bike, hike, meditate and sail. The city also has a great cultural life, and I enjoy the symphony and opera. My wife and I are proud parents to our daughter, who is currently a law student at NOVA University.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
After completing medical school in Romania, Dr. Zanchi completed cardiology training at the University Hospital, Bucharest. After crossing the Atlantic, he continued his medical training in Internal Medicine at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine( Englewood Hospital and Medical Center) and then as a Pulmonary Fellow at Mount Sinai School of Medicine (Cabrini Medical Center) in New York. He went on to pursue a Sleep Disorders Fellowship at Clinilabs(St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital/ a Columbia University Affiliated), one the most advanced sleep training and research organizations in the nation.
He has been practicing medicine in the Tampa Bay area since 2004 and is co-founder of Pulmonary & Sleep of Tampa Bay.
- 1989-1995 Medical School: Carol Davila Medicine, Bucharest, Romania
- 1995-1999 Cardiology Fellowship: University Hospital in Bucharest, Romania
- 2000-2002 Internal Medicine Residency: Mount Sinai School Of Medicine, Englewood Program, New Jersey
- 2002- 2004 Pulmonary Fellowship: Mount Sinai School Of Medicine, Cabrini Program, New York
- 2003-2004 Sleep Disorders Fellowship: Clinilabs/St. Luke`s Roosevelt/a Columbia University Affiliate, New York
CERTIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- American College of Chest Physicians – Fellow
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine – Fellow
- American Board of Internal Medicine – Diplomate
- American Board of Internal Medicine in Pulmonary Disease – Diplomate
- American Board of Internal Medicine in Sleep Medicine – Diplomate